Sunday, February 14, 2010

Interviewing Emiko

I have been doing well, I got a few commissions to get me through to this next paycheck, I am happy to say, I made it and I will be getting the art up here when I get it all finished.

At the beginning of the year, I said I would try to interview one artist a month... well, this is that time again. So, I am interviewing my very close friend, Emiko Cothran, tonight. She lives in Southern California and I have known her since I was in high school, she was a few years behind me and was in Jr. High. She has come a long way in her skills, she has always been talented, but she has done nothing but improve her art over and over again.

1) How old are you?

29

2) What do you do to pay the bills?

I work as an activities coordinator at an adult day health care center. I lead the seniors in activities designed to promote their health and mental facilities. Such as leading them in an exercise class or doing arts and crafts or brain and memory enhancing games.

3) What did you want to be when you grew up?

First, a child psychologist when I was a kid. Later, when I was a teen and young adult, I wanted to be an early elementary school teacher or a preschool teacher.

4) What medium(s) do you use?

I sculpt in fimo classic, I also paint in acrylics and draw in prisma colored pencils and inks. Sometimes I color in photoshop but I prefer to work on paper.

5) What is your first memory of your art?

I remember being in kindergarten and my mom and I were making a poster about what to do when there is a fire and her and I drew it together. She taught me that even men have eyelashes and I made my dad's eyelashes *HUGE*! It was hilarious! I used to make cartoons out of playdoh, my grandma used to save them in her borough. I must have drawn before that but I have no solid, clear memories of it. In playdoh I make snakes and eggs but that hardly counts.

6) What inspires you today?

I am most inspired by my characters, friends, family and experiences. I used to be inspired a lot by tv and books but haven't been obsessed with a tv show or book since Harry Potter. Which is too bad because I love the sort of high I get from it.

7) Do you have a close family?

Yes, I have a loving family. I mean we have our problems like everyone else, but I have never doubted that I was loved growing up.

8) How close are you all?

(see above)

9) Do you have any projects going on?

Yes, I am currently reborning dolls. I am also refurbishing old toys including one that is over 50 years old for a client at work.

10) If you had all the money in the world, what you would you do with your life?

I would buy a house (with a pool), I may quit my job to devote myself to raising a family. I would send my children to an expensive private school system called "Waldorf" which emphasises creativity and the five senses. I would travel and have adventures with my friends and family (like and Alaskan Cruise, a trip to the hot springs int he snow, go snorkeling in Hawaii, etc.) mostly I would not worry about money. I don't think I would change my like too much. I would not live in a mansion or drive a Lexus or wear fancy clothes. Mostly, I'd just like the life I have with more adventures and less stress.

below are a couple links to Emi's work. Thanks for reading. :D

Taden at the Castle

Three Generations

Demmy Passes Out (Animation)

No comments:

Post a Comment