Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Main Characters

I draw my insperation from different places, the wind at the beach, the laughter of my 1 year old daughter, the light hitting my face as I look out the window and even media. I have many different stories but I tend to nurture three characters in particular. The first was based on the Disney television cartoon, Gargoyles. Her name is Meristide - she is a red Gargoyle/elf. I thought it would make things interesting to make her look like she was a demon when she would be one of the gentler gargoyles anyone would ever meet. I took a whole year off from doing all other art and stories (which is an extremely difficult thing to do) to draw/write everything Meristide so I would know her in and out. I do. She is a healer, a mother, a warrior when she is pushed and her blue eyes are always sad, she is an old soul and just wants to rest.

Photobucket I wanted to show the weight of her burden and how tired she really is.

Photobucket This was just practice.

Photobucket She may be tired, but she is strong and I wanted to show that strength she has... it is quiet but there when she needs it.

Photobucket I like Meristide and her mate Utah and I hadn't drawn him for a while but whenever I draw him, I have to draw her too... it never feels right.

PhotobucketI know I started this entry saying I have three main characters and here there are 5? Well, that is easy enough to explain. lol. I started to draw my main three and my character Pixie, the one in the red hair, she creeped in, as she is based on me the closest and then I had to add another to even the top part of the page out. I put in Lexa, she is my character from a comic called Goddess Behind the Counter


The second is Dreamweaver, she is based off the Elfquest world. I love her so much. I only have one other blonde character, I thought it was unique when people around me and me included, were making characters with brown hair and dark eyes. I also thought that healing was a power that is too easy a power to have but she was too gentle to have anything else. She has a power that has to do with healing mentally, she cannot heal physically. I thought it was a neat restriction... it makes her have to learn how to do many things by hand traditionally.

Here are a few of Dreamweaver's pictures -

Photobucket This one was done in my abstract style. I will showcase this style next week, but it is a great way to use shapes to make a picture than traditional lines. :D

Photobucket This was a quick drawing of Dreamweaver, I had some fun drawing this one. I like that she is playing with one of her braids... I like to do that. I think showing characters doing quirky things like everyone else does makes them look natural.

Photobucket This was to show key peices in her life. There are more, but not that would fit.

Photobucket This is Dreamweaver laying in the grass. I like the day dream look in her eyes.

Finally there is Meristide Sadique. She was created hastily as a role playing character years ago that evolved into something more than I could control. She was just an elf version of the gargoyle Meristide and she had a maiden name, Mourningstar. She was just something I threw together that made me want to write about her more and more. She had a family who hated her and tried to kill her. She accused them of the deed and they were thrown into prison and after that she left home and took the family money to try to escape the memory. She settled down and learned magic and fell in love. The guy she fell in love with gave her wings as it was her dream to fly. She found out after getting pregnant with his baby, he wasn't what he said and left him. She discovered later she would have twins. She married hastily and stumbled into her soul mate. They were happy for many years, he raised the twins as if they were his, but her husband comitted suicide in their bath house. She ran her own tavern with him for years and she went a little crazy for a bit but got herself back to normal and works herself hard so she doesn't have to try to think about her late husband or worry about getting too close to someone ever again. I am in the process of writing a webcomic with her as the main character, it is going to be called "The Drunken Bunny Inn"

Here are some pictures of Meristide Sadique -

Photobucket This was just after her husband died.

Photobucket This is her looking into a well. Yup, that is what she is leaning on and yes, I know it looks wrong, I probably won't fix it, but I know how to next time I draw something like this.

Photobucket This is an attempt at a teaser picture for the comic. I love how it came out, it made me really want to make a comic with her and I am... yay! :D


So, now this week's entry ends. I have more things I wanna tell you about but I am ready for bed so it will have to wait until later. Take care and talk to you soon!

Shade and Sweet Water!

No comments:

Post a Comment